Friday, September 4, 2009

I Heart Blue Nails

For as long as I can remember, blue has been my favorite color. I may have had a brief tryst with pink and/or purple in elementary school, but I've done a pretty good job erasing the bulk of those memories. I love all kinds of blue, from the trues in a clear sky, to the hues of a ulysses butterfly. But, until recently, I never had blue nail polish. Polishing my nails always seemed an extravagant treat. Whenever I tried using the Walgreens brands, my nails were left clumpy, smudgy and peely within 24 hours. And to spend $30 just to have the same peeling happen in maybe 36 hours seemed rather pointless. So, whenever I did paint my nails, I usually focused on my toes and stuck to some pink or red variation. That is, until recently. On a whim, I decided I wanted to paint my nails blue. It seemed a good idea, considering my blue fascination. I searched out just the right blue. It had to be a nice royal blue, not a baby or sky blue. After some research and store hunting, I found the perfect shade of polish: OPI's "Yoga-ta Get this Blue!" seemed to call my name. At $8.50 a bottle, I hoped the polish adventure wouldn't bring up the disappointments of polishes in memories past. Lucky me, it worked! Now, I don my favorite color on my fingers AND toes on most days since said purchase. What I learned is how happiness can be filled in to the small gaps of your day with just a splash of color. My blues remind me to find the joy in the little things, and that makes for a better day. By surrounding myself with what brings me joy, I have less time and space for the not-so-happies. And when the blues want to pay a visit, I'll use my royal blues to wave bye-bye.

1 comment:

  1. I love blue too :)

    It is wonderful that you are able to add joy to your day with such a simple treat!

    ReplyDelete