Monday, September 14, 2009

Missed Workout?

I inadvertently missed a workout today. I had a doctor's appointment at 8:20 am that I had to cancel because my insurance info wasn't in order: BOOOO! So, I'll have to reschedule for later this week, which means the appointment I had scheduled for later this week will have to be postponed until early next week... Needless to say,, my stress level was at an all-time high bright and early this morning. I spent the better half of the morning on the phone, online, and in tears. I think all will be in order no later than Wednesday. I had every intention of making it to the gym before school let out-I even wore my workout gear all day- but by now I'm just so emotionally drained that I might just leave it for tomorrow. I know I should go any way, at least for 30 minutes or so, and I just might still do that. The activity would help me clear my head, and I could relieve some stress. But as it stands right now, my head is telling me to skip it! I could use the break, and tomorrow I can start fresh. I haven't really given myself a workout break since I started back a month ago. Yesterday was my first real break day where I did no form of exercise whatsoever. Today would be two days in a row. I don't know that I really want to push two days in a row just yet. I have a 5-day training schedule this week, which means that even if I do end up training today, I will have to take another full day off some time this week. Decisions, decisions. I think I'll leave the choice up to fate: If my girls have lots of homework, then we'll come straight home and I'll miss a workout. However, if they have a light homework load, then I'll take them to the YMCA, and we'll all get in some exercise. Sounds like a plan to me!

UPDATE: I did actually make it to the gym this afternoon. The girls didn't have much homework, and so we went to the YMCA. They were supposed to join a youth dance class, but it was cancelled. So, they started their homework while I got in a good 40 minute workout. It was chest and triceps day, and I added a bit of deltoid work since it is a weak area for me. I didn't do any cardio, except for a 5 minute warm up and 7 minute cool down. But, the best part is I felt SO MUCH BETTER after finishing my workout than I had felt all day long. Training really gets the endorphins (feel-good hormones) moving, and exercising is such a stress reliever. I almost always feel better when I make myself workout even when I don't feel up to it. Once my training session is done, there's a feeling of accomplishment and peace. It's not always easy to remember this feeling before the workout, but once the hear starts pumping a bit harder and the sweat starts forming, the familiar satisfaction kicks in and poses a nice reminder for the next time stress is high and energy is low.

No comments:

Post a Comment