Friday, September 4, 2009

Soapbox Pride

I came across an interesting sight this morning on my way home from the gym. As I waited at a red light, I noticed at the opposite corner a man standing and talking. As I looked more closely, I noticed he had abandoned his parked garbage truck in the parking lot of a quiet corner store, and came to the sidewalk corner to speak. Whatever he was saying seemed very important to him, although I couldn't make out his words. He seemed quite emphatic, gesturing at driversby and wielding his trash picker, as he paced in front of his trashcan. I began to wonder what could have occurred to cause this man to abruptly change course and decidedly preach to an uninterested public. What topic was he so interested in that it drew him from his work? What happened recently to cause this man to proudly proclaim his convictions to anyone who would listen? These questions got me thinking about my own convictions. What in my life is so important to cause me to jump on my own soapbox at the drop of a hat? I'm no stranger to the soapbox, just ask anyone who knows me. I've built up heated discussions on child welfare, and directed monologues on health and fitness for families. Now, the "wellness" soapbox seems to be my topic of choice these days. I want to offer the gift of wellness to my family and friends, both by being well myself, and by inspiring others within my circle of influence to be well. Wellness encompasses all aspects of health and fitness: physical, mental, emotional, social, and spiritual. I believe the best gift any one of us has to offer is ourselves, and I want to offer the best me I possibly can.

No comments:

Post a Comment