Friday, September 25, 2009

Low on Energy

I have been very low on energy all this week. It's been a struggle to even get out of bed in the morning. I hear the alarm clock and I crawl under my sheet to protect myself from the morning. My daughters take turns coming in my room to make sure I'm awake. I climb out of bed, my eyes still closed, and shuffle my way into the day, starting my routine. I remember vividly the days when it was no struggle whatsoever to wake up before my alarm rang at 4:30 am to get my daily workout in before waking up the girls and heading off to work and school. I was eight years younger and as much as 20 pounds lighter. I slept about 6 hours a night, sometimes less, and I didn't miss the sleep. These days, I'm dragging out of bed with as much as 8-9 hours of sleep, some days even 10 hours of shuteye is not enough. My workouts have been a greater challenge, too. Back in the day, it wasn't unlike me to kick out a 2-3 hour workout five or six days a week. I would have to force myself to take one rest day every week. Lately, it's all I can do to make the 20 minute mark on the treadmill or elliptical trainer on most days. This week in particular, I have only had two good cardio days, on which I did between 45-60 minutes of slow state (a turtle's pace), steady pace cardio. The other three days I could hardly last ten minutes. On one day, I couldn't even hang onto the treadmill for longer than 3 minutes! I can't figure out what the major discrepancy/ies is/are from then til now that is causing this shift. Granted, I am older (blah, blah, blah...) and I am dealing with multiple health issues which I'm attempting to evaluate and address. But honestly, it's become a very frustrating set of circumstances. Often, I have the will power and the desire to get moving, but my body is not on the same page as my mind. Some days, my body is raring to go, but my head won't clear away the fog. At the very least, I am still making the attempt mostly every day, whether I feel up to training or not. As long as I make it to the gym, and at least go thru the motions, it's better than sitting at home watching Law & Order reruns. So, I'll keep picking myself up off the couch, wrestle with my sports bra, and pack my protein shake, in the hopes that it will get better, eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment